Dr. Sant Chawla and the oncology team are world-renowned for their expertise in treating advanced sarcomas and other cancers. They are often sought after for this expertise and their clinical trials are often discussed in the media. Take a look at some of the news articles and videos below to learn more about our oncologists, their clinical trials, and sarcoma expertise. Call us today at 310-552-9999 to learn more.
Listed below are just a few of the most recent publications written by the oncologists at the Sarcoma Oncology Center. Click on each title below to be taken to the full article.
– Press Release DeltaRex-G Molecular Therapy Journal
– Exploiting Oncogenic Drivers 2018
– Phase 1b/2 Aldoxorubicin Clinical Trial Results in Cancer:
- A Phase 1b/2 Study of Aldoxorubicin (INNO-206; EMCH-Doxorubicin) in Patients With Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Study of the safety and efficacy of Aldoxorubicin, a prodrug of Doxrubicin, in patients with recurrent malignant solid tumors, including soft tissue sarcoma. The patients in the clinical trial received intravenous infusions every 3 weeks for a total of 8 cycles. Written by the oncologists of the Sarcoma Oncology Center in collaboration with other leading physicians.
Conclusion: Aldoxorubicin administered at the above-mentioned dose was found to be acceptably safe and showed preliminary efficacy in patients with advanced solid tumors, including soft tissue sarcoma. Further investigation of aldoxorubicin is ongoing.
– Journal of Clinical Oncology:
- Phase II Study of the Safety and Antitumor Activity of Hypoxia-Activated Prodrug TH-302 in Combination With Doxorubicin in Patients With Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcoma.
Written by Dr. Sant Chawla in collaboration with co-authors from Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Stanford University Medical Center, University of Arizona Cancer Center, Washington University, Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Mayo Clinic, and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
Conclusion: PFS, overall survival, and tumor response compared favorably with historical outcomes achieved with other first-line chemotherapies for advanced STS. A phase III study of TH-302 is ongoing (NCT01440088).
– Cancer Discovery:
Summary: Article, co-authored by Dr. Sant Chawla, explains the antitumor activity found in the treatment of soft-tissue sarcoma patients with TH-302.
– A Phase 2b Randomized Clinical Trial published in Jama Oncology
- First-Line Aldoxorubicin vs Doxorubicin in Metastatic or Locally Advanced Unresectable Soft-Tissue Sarcoma
Summary: Written by Dr. Sant P. Chawla in collaboration with Zsuzsanna Papai, MD; Guzel Mukhametshina, MD; Kamalesh Sankhala, MD; Leonid Vasylyev, MD; Alexander Fedenko, MD; Kenneth Khamly, MD; Kristen Ganjoo, MD; Rajnish Nagarkar, MD; Scott Wieland, PhD; Daniel J. Levitt, MD. The objective was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of aldoxorubicin, an albumin-binding prodrug of doxorubicin, vs doxorubicin in patients with advanced soft-tissue sarcoma.
Conclusion: Single-agent aldoxorubicin therapy showed superior efficacy over doxorubicin by prolonging progression-free survival and improving rates of 6-month progression-free survival and tumor response. Aldoxorubicin therapy exhibited manageable adverse effects, without unexpected events, and without evidence of acute cardiotoxicity. Further investigation of aldoxorubicin therapy in advanced soft-tissue sarcoma is warranted.
– Journal of Molecular and Clinical Oncology
- Cell cycle checkpoint control: The cyclin G1/Mdm2/p53 axis emerges as a strategic target for broad-spectrum cancer gene therapy – A review of molecular mechanisms for oncologists.
Summary: This paper provides a focused review of cycle checkpoint control as a practicum for clinical oncologists with an interest in applied molecular medicine.
Conclusion: Clinically, the utility of companion diagnostics for cyclin G1 pathways is anticipated in the staging, prognosis and treatment of cancers, including the potential for rational combinatorial therapies.
– Rare Tumors
- A multicenter phase II study of Q3 week or weekly paclitaxel in combination with bevacizumab for the treatment of metastatic or unresectable angiosarcoma.
Summary: Paclitaxel (P) and bevacizumab (B) are agents that provide clinical benefit in advanced angiosarcoma (AS). The objective of this study was to assess the efficacy and safety of P-B in two different scheduled regimens.
Conclusion: The breakdown between the two regimens revealed comparable efficacy and safety. Paclitaxel and Bevacizumab is an active regimen in angiosarcoma. Q3 week and weekly paclitaxel appear similar in efficacy and safety.
– Future Oncology
Summary: In this article, we review the pharmacokinetics, mechanism of action of eribulin with focus on preclinical and clinical data in sarcoma and also the role of miRNAs in soft tissue sarcomas.
– Journal of Clinical Oncology
- Activity of Eribulin in Patients With Advanced Liposarcoma Demonstrated in a Subgroup Analysis From a Randomized Phase III Study of Eribulin Versus Dacarbazine.
Summary: A phase III study comparing eribulin with dacarbazine in patients with advanced liposarcoma (LPS) or leiomyosarcoma showed a significant improvement in overall survival (OS) for the eribulin arm, with a manageable toxicity profile. We now report the histology-specific subgroup analysis of the efficacy and safety of eribulin compared with dacarbazine in patients with LPS, an independently randomized stratified subgroup of this phase III trial.
Conclusion: In patients with previously treated LPS, eribulin was associated with significantly superior OS and PFS compared with dacarbazine. Eribulin represents an important treatment option for patients with LPS, a sarcoma subtype for which limited effective systemic treatments are available.
Other Recent Features
- Study on the efficacy of Denosumab in Giant Cell Tumor of Bone: Results of an Open Label Phase 2 Study published in the Annals of Oncology
- Denosumab in advanced/unresectable giant-cell tumour of bone (GCTB): For how long? Published in the European Journal of Cancer
- Lancet Oncology journal titled Doxorubicin plus evofosfamide versus doxorubicin alone in locally advanced, unresectable or metastatic soft-tissue sarcoma (TH CR-406/SARC021): an international, multicentre, open-label, randomised phase 3 trial.
- Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy article titled Eribulin in advanced liposarcoma and leiomyosarcoma.
- Rexin-G®, a tumor-targeted retrovector for malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor: A case report, published in Molecular and Clinical Oncology
- Results of a prospective phase 2 study of pazopanib in patients with advanced intermediate-grade or high-grade liposarcoma.
- Current status and unanswered questions on the use of Denosumab in giant cell tumor of bone.
- Trabectedin for Soft Tissue Sarcoma: Current Status and Future Perspectives.
- Eribulin versus dacarbazine in previously treated patients with advanced liposarcoma or leiomyosarcoma: a randomized, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial.
- Phase II study of amrubicin (SM-5887), a synthetic 9-aminoanthracycline, as first line treatment in patients with metastatic or unresectable soft tissue sarcoma: durable response in myxoid liposarcoma with TLS-CHOP translocation.
- Tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R in combination with doxorubicin eradicate soft tissue sarcoma in a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) model.
Sarcoma Oncology Center’s Clinical Trials News
The oncologists of the Sarcoma Oncology Center are leading the way in clinical drug trials and are constantly involved in cancer research. Over the years, they have made huge strides in discovering new drugs for the advanced treatment of sarcoma. See just a glimpse of their most recent clinical trial news below:
CytRx’s Aldoxorubicin Clinical Trial News
- CytRx Announces Presentation of Aldoxorubicin Global Phase 3 Soft Tissue Sarcomas and Global Phase 2b Small Cell Lung Cancer Trial Designs at ESMO 2014 Congress
- CytRx Announces Aldoxorubicin + Ifosfamide/Mesna Phase 1b Clinical Trial
- CytRx’s Aldoxorubicin
- Oral Presentation of CytRx’s Aldoxorubicin Phase 2b Clinical Trial in Soft Tissue Sarcoma Highlighted in The Lancet Oncology
- Dr. Sant Chawla featured in article titled CytRx (CYTR) Will Present Aldoxorubicin Phase 1b/2 Data at CTOS Annual Meeting published by Street Insider
- Dr. Sant Chawla featured in PR Newswire press release CytRx Announces the Completion of Enrollment in Pivotal Global Phase 3 Trial Ahead of Schedule
Phase II Hypoxia-Activated Prodrug TH-302 with Doxorubicin
- Phase II Study of the Safety and Antitumor Activity of the Hypoxia-Activated Prodrug TH-302 in Combination With Doxorubicin in Patients With Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Phase III Rapamycin Inhibitor Ridaforolimus vs. Placebo Results
- Results of an International Randomized Phase III Trial of the Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Inhibitor Ridaforolimus Versus Placebo to Control Metastatic Sarcomas in Patients After Benefit From Prior Chemotherapy.
Contact the Sarcoma Specialists
If you would like to learn more about our doctors and the advanced treatments they provide for sarcoma patients, contact the Sarcoma Oncology Center at 310-552-9999 today. Our doctors and staff are here to help you!
Next, read about the Sarcoma Alliance Charity.